Skip to main content

ZyXEL VMG3326 D20A ADSL modem Linux wireless network problem

I bought 10Mbps ADSL network connection from Saunalahti. It works all perfect except for this little glitch I had with it: from my Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) or Ubuntu machine, I could not get the wireless network. While a windows machine and two android phones can access the wifi signals from the modem, the Linux machines can't even see the SSID of my network.

In the beginning when I had just setup the modem I could access the wireless network from my LMDE machine. I started noticing the problem with the network, when I turned off my ADSL modem one day and in the evening turned it on. While all other machines got the connection as soon as the modem was up, my Linux machine could not detect the signal. After a little bit of messing around, I concluded that, for Linux to receive the wireless signal without a problem and to get the connection after the modem restarts, I need to follow the following protocol. I need to turn the wifi off on the modem by pressing a blue button at the top of the modem, then turn off the modem by pressing down its power button; and then when I start the modem, I power it on with the power button and after the modem starts completely, turn the wifi radio by pressing the blue button. This procedure seems to have worked one or two times, but soon even this didn't work - Linux machine simply could not see any signal. My messing around obviously included trying alternative wireless drivers (i.e. the packages broadcom-sta-dkms, firmware-brcm80211 (default), and firmware-b43-installer). None of this helped.

Finally, I came across a post [in Finnish] in Elisa forums which suggested changing the "channel" to anything in the range of 1-11. The default setting was "auto" and the modem took channel 13 by default. I now changed it to channel 1 and it works! To change the channel, I connected to the modem with the URL, 192.168.10.1 (when I was connected to the modem with the cable of course!). The user name and password by default were 'admin' and 1234. Then I navigated to 'network settings' and 'wireless'. The operating channel was 13 before I made any change. In the channel selection field I replaced 'auto' with 1 and applied the change!

Sadly I could not find the Elisa forum post now again to cite it here. I now forgot what were those unique search words in Google that got me to that post. But many thanks to the one who posted it.

Comments

Unknown said…
thank you! you made my day!

Popular posts from this blog

Chetta idea - 1

Alternative title: proposal for a health care project. Diseases such as hypertension (high blood pressure), diabetes, obesity are becoming so common nowadays. It is hard to find people with no diseases. The lifestyle is certainly to be blamed. But what is the use if we just shut our mouth after finding the right thing to blame? Or how would I be different if I leave it there. So, here is a proposal for an automatic health-care system. Well, I know there maybe some treatments, but the idea here is to prevent the diseases. But, prevention really demands prediction of the disease occurrance much before the disease symptoms show off. But, since I am not a palmist or an astrologist, my proposal is to develop a method to stop the disease as soon as its onset or the symptoms appear. OK... it will become more clear as I go with the concrete examples. I would like to concentrate on hypertension and diabetes, because they appear to be the most common diseases. As most of you know, the best cure

Installation of ATI catalyst propreitary driver on LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition)

Google turns up many posts explaining how to install the ATI catalyst proprietary drivers on LMDE. Take this post as just an additional information. In my case, the installation did not work until I accidentally installed another package, x11-xserver-utils.  Thus, in my case, the installation of the drivers was as follows: sudo apt-get install x11-xserver-utils sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx* sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install fglrx-driver fglrx-control sudo /usr/bin/aticonfig --initial sudo reboot I think the reason it worked this way was because computer couldn't recognize the correct graphic device version before the installation of x11-xserver-utils.